Never Far

5 Nov

Photography is really about patience. Waiting for that moment when it all comes together. When an image becomes more than just a random capture and becomes an image evoking a theme, an emotion, a physical connection.

Not to say there isn’t urgency in photography. There is. There may be times where one needs to hurry. I’ve done it. Most of us, if not all of us, that enjoy photography have done it at one time or another. For any number of reasons, patience can become unhinged. Preparation can turn into reckless abandonment in the quest to get the image. Read my blog “Shoulda Coulda Woulda” if you haven’t yet. To get the image I shared in that blog, I literally ran to the spot to get the image. I was lucky that I captured that image. A minute later and it was gone.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda

I rediscovered this past week the beauty of finding images right in my own backyard. I saw the first frost of the season and the impending beautiful sunrise. Photographic opportunities are never far. They can be as near as the front or back door of your residence. Practice patience using the “landscape” of your property and look for the different where you see the same every day. Walk back and forth. Sit still. Look near. Look beyond. Watch the light. Watch the shadows. Watch the movement. Watch the stillness. Take. Your. Time. Hopefully, you’ll begin to see things in a different way. Begin to experience things in a different way. Begin to see that photgraphic opportunities are never far away.

Frosty Morning Leaf (1)

Pine Needle Glory

By the way, one does not need a fancy DSLR camera to enjoy photography. These 2 images above were taken with an iPhone 8+.

Any comments and thoughts are always welcome regarding the blog and/or image(s) posted. Feel free to share them below in the comments section. Thanks for allowing me to share with you “images from a quiet world”.

7 Responses to “Never Far”

1. Wanda Hadeen November 5, 2018 at 6:32 pm #

Sometimes God’s beauty is right under our feet but we miss it cause we are too busy looking for it somewhere else. I love the frost on the leaves in your yard. Only God could paint a picture as beautiful and pristine as that. Because I’m your mom some may think I’m prejudiced (and maybe I am just a bit) but God has given you the ability of not only beautiful photography but also the words you write. I’m so proud of you

Liked by 1 person

2. Josh Driver November 6, 2018 at 8:23 am #

Usually my style is running around every where which I do like because it’s allowed me to see many views and also plan for future shots. But I do want to work on slowing down. Your images are lovely. In the first one, the leaf and the light in the left corner are the most attractive. I could see them popping a lot by darkening around them. But what a golden frosty moment!

Liked by 1 person

• Steve Hadeen November 6, 2018 at 12:19 pm #

Thanks Josh. I did think about doing what you suggested. A good thought for if I put in my website gallery as that leaf is one of the focal points. I enjoy getting around as well. But when it can’t happen or doesn’t happen, close by is good alternative. Kind of what you alluded to in your Silverwood Park blog.

• Josh Driver November 6, 2018 at 9:42 pm #

It’s true! I haven’t gone out to parks at all lately. So I did macro at Silverwood!

Liked by 1 person

3. Sue (Mac's Girl) November 8, 2018 at 10:36 am #

Beautiful images, Steve! I must admit I’ve become a more impatient photographer as I get older. Where I would sit for a long time waiting for the right shot I now want to move on to the next thing. Maybe subconsciously I feel like time is catching up to me and I need to capture as much as I can while I can.

Liked by 1 person

• Steve Hadeen November 8, 2018 at 12:02 pm #

I’ve been there and still go there too. Impatience is a tough adversary. For me it’s about enjoying the moment as well. Impatience can make us miss that moment. Glad you enjoyed the images!